Monday, December 29, 2014

December 29, 2014



Today was the day I have been dreading for months.  Years, actually.  My heart is still in shock with the way some things took place, but apparently, in the restaurant business, there is a method to the madness, as in Life.  Who am I to question how things are done of which I have really very little knowledge?  These people – many of them, though not all, are my family.  I have seen them or known them since I was a very little girl.  Sometime, Life is tough.  I headed to work, greeted by a beautiful West Texas sunrise, the kind I shall probably not see again for quite some time, if ever.  I have to laugh at myself…here I am, the Great Proclaimer of “Life is cyclical” and yet…when I’m the one caught in that spinning wheel, I’m none too pleased.  Yet I’m aware of what is going on and “aware of my awareness”, if that makes sense.  Every time I come back into this town I am thrust into a chasm – of who I was, who I am…and a great deal of whom I might have become.  

I got to the restaurant in Odessa as Amabilia was pulling in in her sweet black Camaro.  This woman looked a hell of a lot better than I felt.  We went inside, a year and a half after I’d spent a summer with her trying to help make changes so that it would be different.  We hugged, cried, talked.  These are my siblings who share a common mother with me – La Bodega.  We are the ants that worked around this Queen Bee trying to make her strong and undefeatable (NW!)…it didn’t work.  In yet another misunderstandings, I had to head to the office to pick up checks for everyone, and in my rush, I backed right into the light pole.  I didn’t have time to get out to look, but when I got to the office, I saw that I had smashed the tail light and scrunched a part of the rear fender in.  Well, shit.  This is a clear sign from Universe that I must stop going backwards!!  I can’t seem to get it right when I do….  Now I need to find a body shop for an estimate.

When I got back with the checks, I walked into a small, mournful circle of employees….  The goodbyes began.  Many knew it would be happening and all were saddened by it.  My tears began here.  They had fallen three additional times before I was handed the phone – CBS 7 had heard a rumor….  La Bodega is something special here in town and I wasn’t surprised, so I answered all questions and elaborated on details.  What did surprise me was when the camera man set up to interview me.  I thought he would just film a few scenes….after such an emotional morning, I was not in my best frame of mind and looked like I should be sitting near a yarrow bush, knotting  macramé or singing Kumbaya..frizzed hair, tear-washed eyes.  <sigh>  Good thing I changed my major from hardcore journalist – I’d have given Christiane Amanpour a run for her money, indeed.


The next several hours was spent in hugging, re-crying, trying to organize the disconcerted mind in remembering necessary tasks, and instead running in circle of half-completion.  I also, in my memorabilia-driven way, needed to keep my history with La Bodega – so I grabbed 3 hot sauce bowls, 2 glass salt and pepper shakers with the square patterns that I would stare at as a young child.  I have 4 half order white plates and a few pieces of silverware that I purchased the summer I was there.  This is how I will keep my La Bodega.  I was lucky enough to get the story of LB’s founding from Roy Kimsey, himself, who financed the restaurant.  One day, I shall write the story and send it to the Midland Reporter Telegram. 




I got home, had enough time to grab paperwork which needed to be notarized by 5 and Olivia and I headed off to the bank, only to realize that I didn’t have my identification with me.  My mind is not working as it should…tooooo much happening, too much sadness.  I’ll get that done tomorrow morning.   I later headed to Midland LB to get the second course of my Midland meal – half an order of Mario’s burrito.  Mmmm, those things are good.  It has been an emotional day – a difficult day.  One day not so long ago I was carrying in potted chrysanthemums for opening day and now…not so long after, I am back to close her doors.  I’ll return to Odessa tomorrow for a bit to see what I can do and maybe just grab a little more of that La Bodega Spirit.

Pictures:  The West Texas sun rises; Midland's La Bodega sign inside the foyer; Odessa's fountain; Odessa's "section closed" sign.  Good-bye, Previous Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment