Saturday, February 28, 2015

February 28, 2015



As I was entering awakening, I suddenly remembered the bus and sprang into action,  making sure Dusty hadn't phoned me.  Ok, all clear.  I started tapping out a message, but dear god, I was becoming annoying even to myself.  I didn't want to over-bother, and there was a nice rain tapping on the windows, so I snuggled with my bed for a while longer as I waited for coffee to brew.

At one point, however, it became necessary to text Dusty to let him know things needed to be going by one, at which point no wire transfers could take place, he responded and after the right time, I headed to the bank.  As I was sitting in the car, Dusty sent me pictures of my bus, the papers, etc.  He was absolutely instrumental in making this dream come true.  Not one of my bank people were there...I guess weekends are saved for the new folks, so I explained to the teller that I had a check to deposit, a money order (Swiss passport stuff) and a wire transfer.  She responded those are only happen on weekdays.  NOoooo!!!!!!  We finished up my other banking business and I left, heading towards her suggestion of a Western Union: first to CVS, where I thought I'd seen a WU sign, then to Rite Aide, where there actually was a WU (but only to $999), then to a check cashing store which was also a Western Union center, but they couldn't help me for the amount, so I headed back to my bank, when I spoke with the same lady who told me I could come by Monday after work and the transfer would arrive Tuesday morning.  I left a little saddened and headed home. When I got there, I received an email from Joe ( we’ve been back and forth since yesterday’s Ebay sale), who told me I could deposit a check into his bank account. So I grabbed the dogs (we are going hiking after) and we headed to Chase bank where I successfully wrote a check for the amount and was told it would be there early Tuesday morning(no hold)!! My heart was beating hard,  I was so excited and very happy. Unfortunately,  I was unable to access my bank account to transfer the funds from savings into checking so I return to my bank from third time and made that happen.  I am the proud purchaser of a 1976 Volkswagen pop-up top bus. 😊 <beaming til my face breaks>

It was time to celebrate, so as the raindrops started hitting my windshield, the dogs and I headed up to our hiking spot in the El Dorado National Forest. I pulled off at Fleming trailhead and the dogs and I  headed, in upper 30s lower 40s° weather,  down a clay-dirt puddle-filled road, every blood cell in my body vibrating with pure joy. The air was brisk and occasionally raindrops found my face.  I wanted to walk forever.  As I always do on these walks,  I did a lot of thinking. Initially I had been listening to the Grateful Dead in honor of the new bus, but at one point I walked out of reception area,  so I thought, realizing how happy I’ve been lately; Everything I have accomplished in the last few years has been on my own.  I realize, however, that without the many people in my life, I wouldn’t be where I am today, yet I finally feel successful on my own.  I  don’t need a man by my side and that's a very comforting feeling to me.  On this hike this thought came to my mind:  " It isn't until the door has been slammed in your face too many times that you realize you didn't need to go through that door anyway."   I like that.

On my way home I got a text from Maggie which was so bittersweet. She texted that she and her friend been using a Ouija board and she had contacted Ryan.  The first thing she let me know is that he said he loved her and tears immediately sprang into my eyes. The second thing was that his favorite color was pink and this was my dad's favorite color, though I never told Maggie that.  His favorite food is apples, his favorite animal is a duck and his favorite number is four.  She FaceTimed me later and told me other things… she was so happy and it meant a lot to me because this morning, I was thinking of him and had thought about going to the river.  I played with the Ouija board when I was a kid, so I understand how they work, but I also very much believe that a part of us never dies.  It was a very special conversation as her face beamed with love for her eternal baby brother.

 I showered and was excited to go celebrate my day with a little bite of a little bit of sushi down the hill. I brought  the Smithsonian magazine to read and after quite a wait, I was eventually seated at a table by myself, enjoying some hot green tea and some gyozas. My three sushi rolls arrived, and much to my horror,  I ate every bite and still didn't really feel that full, so I ordered a dessert.  Gratefully, I couldn't finish it, so I paid and headed to the grocery store to pick up a token of my appreciation for Dusty. Without him this would not have happened and I'm so very grateful to him. So now I'm at home and looking forward to a nice evening with The Office and then I'll tumble off to sleep with the refrains of Grateful Dead songs in my head.  What a glorious day it has been.


 Pictures: A raindrop; The clay-watered dirt road; The limbs of a tree reaching for the clouds.... Movie: Mabi completely ripped the top of this sapling off as I was shooting a picture.  She seems to have tree issues.  

No comments:

Post a Comment