Friday, May 29, 2015

May 29, 2015



Morning.  I was so excited until I realized there was still another day, but “one” is a great number (I’ve learned), so I got going.  Anders has been helping me out a lot, lately.  I dropped the kids off a little earlier than usual and then headed to school with my gifts in the back…the succulent arrangements I’d made with Ethan for a few people who have really meant a great deal to me.  It was a very nerve-racking day and I feel the need to say this:  I KNOW that this is not about the individual – IT IS ALL ABOUT ME AND HOW I’VE BEEN REACTING.    Still, that being said, it grew to a point of such discomfort for me that I was unable to focus on the kids and for a part-time job so that I could finish school, that wasn’t a good match for me.    It was tough saying goodbye to my favorite coworkers without "saying goodbye."  I made some new Facebook friends – sisters who have meant so very much to me.  I will miss those kids.  I left without saying good bye to my coworker, not that it would have been something done by that person, but again, it’s not about them.  I should have risen above the behavior and didn’t.  Lesson learned.




I picked up the kids and we headed to fill up the car.  There – at the gas station was this huge truck hauling two trailers with writing and paintings/drawings all over it.  There was also a huge boombox with music blaring.  On the side of the truck it read “Life is what you make it!  Help me show love to the Hopi Reservation.  This is my 5th trip  - going there to give away food, clothes and building materials.”  Ohmylordy..  Here we go again…another one those people.  I spotted a black man in overalls and a bright red shirt mounting flags and working on other preparations.  I dug out $5 and sent Maggie out while I filled the car.  I saw his face light up and talk to Maggie, and give her a card.  I suddenly caught such a wonderful feeling from him and walked over.  I spoke with him for about 10 minutes.  He lives in Santa Cruz, but is up watching his daughter graduate.  He began his missions after hurricane Katrina and would bring necessary items to victims.  It has since evolved to reservations and helping repair homes and bring supplies.  There is no religious overtone here – Curtis mentioned God, Buddha, Allah, all in the same sentence...and said he calls it kindness.  His eyes were alight with passion and it was a joy.
 
After such a stressful day I needed some nachos, so we headed La Placitas for the nachos, klistenijng to the Grateful Dead <Chinacat Sunflower!!>.  The kids and I had a blast here.  For whatever reason, I started in on a Russian accent <very stressful day – did I mention that>  and I more than ate my fill…I actualy got the burrito to go as I was done after nachos.  I realized that we really needed to get the scuba stuff going because there wasn’t much time if the kids were going with Carolene to San Diego in 10 days (after my Calpine fest).  

We walked in and the smell of the pool greeted me like a warm hello.  Rick, the manager was there and hooked us up with Bill, who got us the wet suits.  Maggie was in hers without issue (she had an Aqua Lung 4 mm suit), but Ethan and I?  I was struggling trying to get my foot in…grunting and groaning...then giggling.  I heard a man’s voice outside say “Is she ok?”  Maggie sighed (I heard her eyes roll), she’s working on it. “No!!!  I’m not ok!!”  I thought to myself.  I can’t even get my damn foot in the wet suit.  Ethan was having the same issues.  He went through 3 suits and I went through 2 before we found suits we could fit in (and that was with silicone spray).  So now they know the sizes we’ll be renting.  We were fitted for CBs and then got gear.  I got flippers and booties, but since the kids will be growing I didn’t get them any – they can rent.  I did get us all masks and snorkels, plus the 3mm wetsuits we’ll need in Costa Rica(they had a great sale).  I did freak out a little at the cost, but on the flip side – this is a life lessons and a wonderful way for us to hang out together as a family.  I have only scuba’d in a pool and it was magical…. I can’t wait to explore Costa Rica with my kids.  

We headed home after a few stops (Ethan needed to pick up new speakers he got and Maggie needed jeans for her trip to Point Bonita on Monday).  I was exhausted and needed to shower to wash my hair so Mags can curl it in the morning.  We watched Office episodes.  Now there are some coworkers! Then the kids and I started our diving homework. We are THRILLED about our adventure.

Pictures:   And with that...I left; My favorite girls; Mr Curtis - helping humanity with a smile and a sparkle in his eyes; PADI adventures await!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment