Friday, November 27, 2015

November 27, 2015



Another night of not-so-such terrific sleep, but I’m young, right?  Wait.  That’s the kids.  Those crazy little things that caused me grief trying to get them out bed.  Last night I spoke with the lady at the register (the hotel is open 24 hours) and she gave me a great link to a site called camparis.ch which shows home for rent and gives information on taxes and all sorts of other important details which I can’t think of now.

The kids were finally up and we popped across the street to Jung’s Bakerei for some breakfast treats of which Maggie got a cinnamon roll (which she found disappointing because it was made with real ingredients you can find in your kitchen. I got a fruit tart.  Ethan stuck with apple juice.  We headed over to the Landes Museum, but before we could go in, I wanted the kids to finish what they had.  Ethan helped Maggie by donating her roll to a swan.  We visited the museum, which was a single room (which made me rather sad as it is such a beautiful museum) containing pictures of the history of workers in Switzerland from the beginning of the 19th century to now.  We watched a movie with still shots of different trades and I was saddened and fascinated at the craftsmanship which is now so rare while it was so common one hundred years ago.

Ice skating and the Dolder was next on the list.  The kids enjoyed themselves so much the other day – though it was cut short by speed skating practice, so I brought them back.  The price is quite reasonable – 4 SFr entrance and -7 SFr to rent skates.  I sat outside, near a group of loud kids about Ethan’s age, so I moved inside.  Just as I had done so, a man who worked for the rink went over to the kids and reprimanded them about their behavior and noise level.  What I enjoyed was seeing a guy who wasn’t much older than these kids keeping them in check – and it was a quiet talking-to, no threats or yelling – just matter-of fact talk.   Two of the girls came inside a short while later – said hello to me and then stared talking loudly again.  The guy came back and spoke with them again.  When he turned his back, the girl flipped him off – then saw me looking at her with a smile and she quieted down.  Funny.  The kids skated for a while as I read ‘Atlas Shrugged’, then Mags fell on her hip really badly, bruised it, and  wanted to leave, so we did.  We stopped by a conditerie to buy some treats, me smiling at everyone I saw.  I will not let these stern faces get me down!!!

A last stop tonight would be dinner – pizza at Grottino 85 – a pizza place we frequented before concerts at the Hallenstadion.  I told the current owner that – he got it 6 years after I had left.  I’ve noticed the music scene is still really active here in Zurich.  Missing that is not something I need to worry about.  I may have to go alone, but I do that anyway, so….  It was as we walked down to our tram stop that a man in the window across the street was fully naked.  I love this country and the lack of modesty – nudity just is in many cases.  No big deal.  

  
Kids and I bought some conditioner and then headed back to play cards.  I made a date with a friend of Joel’s who works here and he suggested she would be an excellent person to know.  I also heard from my godmother, who is not doing very well at all and I may not be able to see here this visit, which saddens me, but I want her to take care of herself.  School reunion tomorrow.  Looking forward.





 Pictures: The building next to the Limmat River; Landes Museum; Walking to Dolder; (Snowball) Creation smiles....; Grottino 85


No comments:

Post a Comment