Saturday, August 30, 2014

August 30, 2014



It was not difficult to sleep in this morning, and despite guilt at knowing it would be warmer for working in the yard today, I had to honor my bed and feel those cool sheets against my skin.  Sleeping and food…the two indulgences I have in life. 

It took me a good hour, plus to start moving.  I had told Kristo I would let him know when I was moving, and felt kinda bad because he was sitting in a coffee shop in Shingle Springs (though if he was ‘waiting’ on me, I have no idea…I simply take on issues that like, whether I have reason to or not) and here I was, lounging about, then listening to The Good Luck Thrift Store, dancing in my kitchen.  Still – I got it together and told him I’d be good to go in 10 minutes then  I headed outside to remove the “red beauty bark.”   He let me know he’s be here shortly.  Within a half an hour, his truck pulled in and, after almost a year of communicating ‘not-face-to-face’  I got to meet Kristo LIVE!  What a rad guy.  We talked for quite a while before getting started on the yard…he told me about parts of his AT thru hike, life, etc.  There are so many things we have in common, including a couple of life/heart-affecting incidents we share via a compound we both know of.

We headed down to Sierra Landscaping to get the black “beauty bark” (how’s that, Sabol?) and the DG for the path.  We had to make a few trips, but got everything we needed.  I was treated to a few detours and saw parts of Placerville I’ve never seen.  Kristo mentioned many hiking sites in the vicinity that I’ve never explored with the kids…looking forward to getting out there with the tribe soon.  After we unloaded the DG, I invited him to lunch as thank you for helping me transport the stuff.  The newest place since his adventure on the Appalachian Trail was Pizza Bene, so we headed there.  I honestly had a life changing salad there… no lie.  Great talking and after, we walked around Placerville a bit.  I am NOT Kidding  One Bit: it was nice hanging around a man again (DON ‘T FREAK OUT ON ME, Kristo,  I’m just making an observation since the other guys I hang out with are gay or married).  This is a terrific thing for me to realize as I had figured I was preparing for Cat-Ladyhood.

Kristo headed off and I got busy moving the DG and the bark to its new home.  Despite the lateness in the day, I broke out in a sweat quickly.  Brent pulled in across the street and we had our usual double entendre convo:  this one was about the large, hard, erect stone I had placed in the yard.  <sigh>  Considering we are both single and solo, we are really the last  who should be talking like this, seeing as we have no outlet for our “energy”<grin>   It wasn’t long after that Steve and Stephanie (the inspiration for my yard renovation) walked by.  We spoke a bit and soon everyone went back to their respective homes, I watered down the DG, going inside myself as the sun began to set.   I remembered I hadn’t put on any make-up this morning, noticing after moving the bark that I looked like a blackface actor from the 20s.  Yuk.  I felt horribly guilty and much preferred last week-end when I had a lovely dirt tan, looking healthy rather than racist.  
The only solution was a shower.  I washed away and ended up not finding anything comfy to wear so decided to go au natural…only I MUST remember to shut the front door as I’d rather not  share all THIS <pointing to self> with my neighbors or ransom passers-by.  I spent the evening eating leftover pizza, delicious (life-changing) salad and spending time with David Tennant.  It was wonderful having my hiking-self awoken and I am looking forward to many lessons from Mr. Hammonds.  

Pictures:  The Mostly Finished yard and Mabi, watching in fear as David Tennant/Doctor Who fights Robot Mercenaries in Season 3

No comments:

Post a Comment