Wednesday, October 29, 2014

October 29, 2014 World Series Champions



Tired day.  Exhausted and horrified from the 10-0 loss last night against the Royals, and fearfully hopeful that today ends up differently.  The day was a long one, indeed. I saw the most beautiful clouds in the sky, and there was an ethereal feel to the day.  Reds in the tree tops appeared darker, the lime green colors where stronger and the sky’s blue was deeper.  

Picked up my children and went to their classrooms as today was Continent Party day.  I spoke with a favorite teacher and saw many parents whom I haven’t seen in years.  I even, shockingly (to me) spoke with someone whom I have had many difficulties with over the years and actually enjoyed the conversation.  Huh.

Home to the Beginning:  the beginning of homework, the 7th game of the World Series, the onset of The Game.  At school today I had spoken tone of Ethan’s teacher’s who said, point blank that the kids he is sitting with  don’t care if they fail and they are sucking Ethan right down with them, that he is unable to accomplish work when he is with them as all they do is talk.  So, tonight, as we were sitting, and starting work (much to his chagrin) on the next subject, having finished one, I let him know that he is responsible for his choices and he needs to start making different ones about who he works with.  I was very precise and specific.  There was no yelling from him, no tears…only silence, as he sat in the same chair all evening, not doing his work.  And so, the homework was there, the game proceeded, as The Game (stand-off, of sorts), began.  No, Ethan.  You can’t watch videos.  The computer is for homework which needs to be finished.  And so the screen sat, unused.  The boy sat, unused.  

 For so long I had looked forward to, stressed over, donated my fingernails to the Giants/Royals game, yet tonight, an hour or so after the game ended, Maggie realized and asked, “Is the game over?!!  Who won?”  “The Giants won…” I answered quietly.  “But you didn’t even ‘Woo-hoo!’”  “Nope.  I didn’t even ‘Woo-hoo!’”



So I finished some of my work, though I still have a paper due tomorrow night before class.  We’ll see how that goes.  My boy is silent.  We didn’t carve pumpkins tonight nor listen to the game as a family.  Instead the two of us sat in front of a Mac.  “I wanted to carve pumpkins and listen to the game, too, Ethan.  But I can’t let that happen if this isn’t done first.”  Sometimes being responsible doesn’t feel so great.  Congrats, Giants.




Pictures:  The most amazing cloud formation I have seen; a glorious tree; the precious hands of a Young One...so many Adventures lie ahead of him.  Thank you for letting me hold him, Katie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment